GT3 - das sportliche Hotel

History

The Nürburgring is a racetrack named after the castle Nürburg, located in the district Ahrweiler in Rhineland-Palatinate in the Eifel and it was founded on June 18, 1927. In the past the racetrack was a mountain-, race- and test-track, its distance was 28 km and it was used in this original form until 1982.

In 1984 the most modern and safest racetrack at that time was opened in the area of the start-finish line and the so called Südschleife. The 4.5 km Grand-Prix Track was directly connected to the 20.8 km Nordschleife. These two parts of the racetrack nowadays form the 26 km total distance which is only used in a modified version for the different races. For the VLN-Races the track is used without the so called Müllenbachschleife and the distance of a round is 24.433 km and for the 24 Hours, the distance without the Mercedes-Arena is 25.378 km. Today the Nürburgring is the longest racetrack used permanently. Furthermore the Grand-Prix Track can be divided in the Sprint-Circuit, a short version, and the Müllenbach-Circuit, the southern part of the racetrack.

Other races:

By connecting the racetracks to the 25.9 km version touring car races of several hours, like the VLN-Long distance races or the 24 Hours can take place. Up to 190 cars of different modification grades, displacement- or driving force-classes start in these races at the same time, about 700 drivers, professional and amateurs, take turns at the steering wheel.

 

Source: Wikipedia